Ok so this week turned out to be all about social media and I promise it wasn't originally planned that way (today's post was supposed to be about a book that i can't seem to find now).
Any who, today's topic is all about Twitter and how to build community and also gain a few new followers along the way. Twitter is often thought of as a platform to just express your random thoughts and to stay in the loop with what's going on in the world. While all of that is true, Twitter can also be a great way to share your work and is one of the best ways to directly interact with your community. So the next time you hop on Twitter, keep these tips in mind.
1. Remember that it's not all about you. Yes you are awesome and yes your content is awesome but no one wants to just hear about you all day. A great way to connect with your audience and especially other bloggers or business owners is to share their work as well. See a blog post from a blogger that you love? Post it on Twitter with their username! We all love free promotion plus if you show love I promise people will begin to show love back!
2. Share valuable content. We all love to hop on Twitter and talk about our day or our favorite television show (trust me I do it all the time) but what's going it keep your followers around and engaged is if you share useful content. Are you a style expert? Then share some of your best tips with your followers. Not only is it helpful but while you're at it it shows that you really know what you're talking about and who knows what those RT's and favorites could lead to (hello new followers!)
3. Put yourself out there! Twitter is only useful if you put yourself out there to be known. Don't be afraid to join in on the conversation with your followers. Or even asking questions to get the convo started! It doesnt always have to be about blogging or your specific niche either. Let your followers know the real you. Is your timeline talking about Scandal from last night? Jump in and join the conversation!
4. Be natural. You can do all of the planning in the world but if your posts are not coming off as natural (ie. you sound like a generic robot tweeting) your followers will be able to tell. Tweet how you would normally talk and engage with your followers as if you were talking to them in person. Make it personable! Remember people will connect with another person before they connect with a brand!
5. Be appreciative. Ok so now you have all of these new followers coming in and your posts are getting retweeted like crazy. Now is not the time to get snooty. If someone reaches out to you on Twitter then reply back. If someone shares your blog post, say thank you. Trust me the little things go a long way!